Monday, November 7, 2011

Fish stew for breakfast, lunch and dinner?

When I arrived in the kitchen at 5:50 this morning I could smell it simmering. I knew she could not resist her Baba's fish stew. She informed me that she was taking some for lunch. I prayed over her as I fixed her hair. We scurried up to the bus stop with our furry companion. A brown and white coker spaniel that we call Cinnamon of course.  I was grateful that daylight savings came this weekend so our morning walks our now bathed in daylight.

When I returned to the kitchen to prepare my husband's juice I saw the remains of Marian's breakfast. Fish stew. Marian has never been one to eat a traditional breakfast. By the time she was 9 her breakfast became whatever dinner was the night before. No bread, cereal or eggs just meat & veggies. This stew that my husband mastered after his fast meets all of Marian's requirements. Her dad (my hubby) is a incredible cook. His stew contained cilantro, potatoes, kale, onions, garlic, salmon, scallops & tuna. I could not resist so I had a serving for lunch as well.

She returned home this afternoon tired as usual. She dropped her bags, took off her shoes and asked if she could have some fish stew now and for dinner later as well. I nodded. With her IPhone in her hand & ears, feet tapping while humming she devoured the stew.  It was soon time for music classes and errands.

When we returned home I greeted hubby who was stretched out on the couch with Cinnamon right by his side.  I heard the refrigerator slam and heard a sigh "Baba" Marian yelled. "You ate all stew". I checked there was about a cup of stew left for her and I to share. Marian began rambling in the cabinet. Hubby was in the kitchen quite annoyed. "Marian what are your doing"? She finds the biggest pot she can find. "The next time you make the stew use this."We will" I assure her. She adds her portion of the stew to a bowl of packaged Asian noodles. Feet tapping, while humming she devours the stew.

1 comment:

  1. Too funny! I actually remember his, time for some stew.

    ReplyDelete